The 492nd Special Operations Wing (492 SOW) is a primary support unit of the Air Force Special Operations Command, the Air Force component of the U.S. Special Operations Command.
The 492 SOW is responsible for the training and education of Air Force special operations forces as well as AFSOC's Aviation Foreign Internal Defense program, non-standard aviation program, innovation development, command-level weapons and tactics, and operational testing in support of Air Force Special Operations Forces throughout the world.
The following units are consolidated under the 492 SOW:
- 492d Special Operations Training Group, Hurlburt Field, Florida
- U.S. Air Force Special Operations School, Hurlburt Field, Florida
- 18th Flight Test Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Florida
- 19th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Florida
- 371st Special Operations Combat Training Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Florida
- 492d Special Operations Advanced Capabilities Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Florida
- 551st Special Operations Squadron, Cannon Air Force Base, New Mexico
- 492d Special Operations Group, Duke Field, Florida
- 492 Special Operations Support Squadron, Duke Field, Florida
- 592nd Special Operations Maintenance Squadron, Duke Field, Florida
- 524th Special Operations Squadron, Duke Field, Florida
- 6th Special Operations Squadron, Duke Field, Florida
The 492 SOW operates under the Total Force Integration (TFI) concept as the wing brings together the strengths of the active duty Air Force, the Air Force Reserve, the Air National Guard, Department of Defense civilians, and contract personnel to form an integrated training and education team dedicated to building new Air Commandos.
The following Reserve and Guard units operate under the TFI concept with the 492 SOW:
- 5th Special Operations Squadron, a Reserve unit from the 919th Special Operations Wing, Duke Field, Florida
- 711th Special Operations Squadron, a Reserve unit from the 919th Special Operations Wing, Duke Field, Florida
- 919th Special Operations Maintenance Group, a Reserve unit from the 919th Special Operations Wing, DukeField, Florida
- 209th Civil Engineer Squadron, a Guard unit from Gulfport, Mississippi
- 280th Special Operations Communications Squadron, a Guard unit from Dothan, Alabama
The 492 SOW provides mission qualification training in SOF aviation platforms to include AC-130U, AC-130W, U-28, PC-12, MQ-1, MQ-9, C-145, C-146 as well as small unmanned aerial systems, Combat Aviation Advisors, medical element personnel, and AFSOC security forces. In addition to AFSOC personnel, The wing is responsible for educating and training other U.S. Special Operations Command components and joint/interagency/coalition partners.
Point of Contact
492d Special Operations Wing, Public Affairs Office
Hurlburt Field, FL 32544; DSN 579-5986 or (850) 884-5986; e-mail: 492SOW.PA.PA@us.af.mil
(Current as of November 2018)